Welcome to the Office of Risk Management
The Office of Risk Management and Insurance (Risk Management) is the support organization within the University that provides the expertise necessary to maintain a safe and healthy campus environment where bodily injury and property damage risk are prevented or controlled and the potential liability from loss is adequately financed. Risk Management involves the identification and analysis of three key exposures: 1) liability for bodily injury and property damage; 2) physical damage to the University’s own property; and 3) liability for causing others to suffer financial loss.
Managing the university's risk is accomplished through programs that are implemented through collaborative efforts with numerous departments. To achieve effective implementation, all members of the University community have a responsibility to actively support the risk management programs, policies, and procedures.
Executive Director - Risk Management and Insurance
Risk Management provides central coordination of exposure identification, risk evaluation, risk control and risk financing. Risk Management staff evaluate risks to students, faculty, staff and visitors, and recommend alternatives for protection against or elimination of these risks. Risk Management also analyzes the costs involved with each risk and resulting liabilities. A quick summary of services provided includes:
- Internal consulting services for departmental staff on preventing and controlling risks, including risk assessments and policy development for projects, activities, and operational liability exposures
- Workers’ compensation, auto liability, general liability, professional liability, and property claims administration
- Marketing, purchasing, and administration of property, excess general liability and other miscellaneous insurance policies and bonds
- Review of University contracts and leases for insurance requirements and indemnification language
- Employee and supervisory training on risk related topics, including loss control and workers’ compensation
- Coordination of modified duty assignments for injured workers and physical rehabilitation programs for injured workers